Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Local Weather Guys

I really appreciate the passion this family has for the weather forecast. Over the years I have taken a keen interest in the local meteorologists. I always loved Old Man Eubanks and his emphasis on water conservation, but sometimes he came off a little arrogant and snobbish. In addition, his move from KUTV to KSL seemed a little shady. Kind of Boozeresque. Then there was good ol Bob Welti. I appreciated his demeanor but felt he could have prepared a little better. He would pretty much just look out the window and tell the viewers what he saw. Eubank Jr. is fantastic. His excitement and presentation are always fun and his energy is contagious to the other anchors. Nadine Whimmer can hardly contain herself when Eubs is up there doin his thing. But like his dad, he shocked the world and followed the big bucks when he did his own channel hopping, burning many bridges along the way. I won't even mention Roland Steadham, the former channel 2 weatherman who has an eerie resemblance to the Burger King character seen shredding NFL defenses in those old commercials. So who is at the top of my list? Dan Pope. He was forced to leave the comfortable confines of his weather porch on channel 4 when they decided not to renew his contract. Did he hang his head and give up? Did he settle for a 2nd tier news station like Fox 13? No he did not! He promptly marched right up the front steps of the Triad Center, kicked in the door and shouted, "I came to do weather, chew gum, and kick #%& and I'm all out of gum! I'm Dan Freakin Pope!" KSL had a choice to make. Hire DFP, or call the police. Keith McCord started to dial 911 when he heard the prominant, booming, sultry tones of Dick Norse say, "Let's give this guy a chance." Well, the gamble has paid off. Pope has brought the same strong opinions, fire, and guts to the Eyewitness News that he displayed that day at broadcast house. He manages to keep the weather about the weather, and not about him. He mesmerizes the audience with mild mannered vigor and intensity, building up the suspense to the 7-day forecast to the point that you feel your life depends on how hot or cold the next week will be. The rewarding, magical feeling you get from Dan's forecasts are like a shot of adrenaline, helping to prepare you for the next day. His mastery of Viper, willingness to put himself out there, and presence are the reasons why Dan Pope has my vote as the best meteorologist in the Beehive State. Plus he kind of reminds me of Dad. In fact I think he's got some Springer in him. DFP would fit right in on Easter Morning with the rest of the fam.

No comments:

Post a Comment