Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mush, malts, & marathons

For my dad....

I like mush. Not sure how anyone could possibly think that stuff tasts good, but I do. I remember you used to be so excited about having your mush every morning. Bless our hearts, we didn't know any different. But we, at least I, learned to like that nasty stuff because you were so happy about it. Especially if it had cheerios in it.

Some of my favorite memories of my childhood are going on dates with you. We used to go to the maltbarn and get those gigantic malts with half of it hanging over the top. They were soooo good. I remember one particular date, you went to the front door, rang the doorbell and asked for me. When I went to the door you said, "I'm here to pick you up for our date." You also had a present for me, my birthstone earings and a necklace (I'm sure this was all mom's idea but either way, I loved it). It made me so happy to know that you were excited to hang out with me. I have a terrible memory, but that is one thing I will never forget.

I remember thinking you were insane for running marathons. Why would anybody do that to themselves for fun? The last time you ran the St. George marathon I ran the last 8 miles or so with you. You were really struggling at that point and were so tired. You told me that you couldn't stop though or you wouldn't ever finish. So you would pick a land mark, a road sign, or cactus, whatever, and say, "I'm going to run to that sign then walk for a bit." You did that the rest of the way until you crossed the finish line. I was so impressed with your persistance and optimistic attitude that I thought, "maybe I could run a marathon someday". And I can honestly tell you that pushing myself to accomplish that task is one of the greatest things I could have ever done for myself. It's something that's hard to explain. But because of it I have been able to push myself to do many hard things in my life that I wouldn't have thought possible before.

I feel like I've never given you enough credit for the way I've turned out. But the truth is, I owe so, so, much of who I am to you. Looking back you have always been a constant example of truth and hosesty. You have always had a  firm belief in what you knew was right and a rock solid testimony. You have been consistant and always stood your ground. Even if it was something I didn't agree with, like playing with face cards (I still don't quite understand this one but it's ok :) or going camping over night with my friends which included both boys and girls (I would NEVER allow my kids to do that). You have been consistant in what you believe and made sure we as kids knew that. And I appreciate that more and more every day. I now know that because of you I have a strong testimony of our Savior, the greatest thing you could ever have taught me.  There have been specific experiences that you have had in your life that you have shared with me that I will never forget. I think about them often and it seriously helps me through whatever I'm struggling with. Thank you so much for your example, and for being my dad...

Love, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment